16 April 1992

On my headphones John Lennon sings 'Give Peace a change' , that tape, together with the Dutch tape of Doe Maar (Virus for Dutch people) I put mostly on when I am typing the messages in, to be not disturbed by all the noise around me. It is a little absurd to listen to take music when you are typing in war stories. 'Let's stop all the fight'. But all in this war is absurd.

In 3 daily Croatian newspapers GreenNet is mentioned as major source about the killing in Bijalina, I told the SDA centre in Sarajevo that we had put it on the net and they told to the reporters, among them BBC, who reported about it today, mentioning GreenNet as source. For the people in Sarajevo these things are very important, they want to have their stories out, the world should know about it. It is not the numbers, if from the story of Bijalina only the half is true it is already enough to throw up. Just some hours okay IA London contacted us to get more information, but we don't much more, I am just porting the news from Sarajevo and other places in the hope somewhere somebody starts to read it and get the point that what here is going on has more then enough similarities with WW2 to take it serious.

We got today also a fax from an American Peace Group, which call upon their government to help. There are about 75 US citizens in Sarajevo and they have to get out in one piece, the US government should act. The ambassador from the US has already said that he is going to Sarajevo. What to think about the 500.000 inhabitants of Sarajevo.

The last news is that a high delegation (Cyrus Vance) of the UN landed in Sarajevo by helicopter to help in the peace process. Since days, the sixth fleet is in the Adriatic Sea. Let us pray that they are not putting in their heavy artillery.

The darkest people around me say that this probably could lead to a situation that Serbia will as an act of last hopeless aggression to bomb Zagreb really. Up to now, the city is nearly undamaged. I have ask if somebody could explain to me were the shelters are and what alarms means what, since that information, you see it everywhere is in Croatian. If the things will get to the worst, I have to find some extra telephone cable to continue in the basement. However, I do not believe in it, nobody can be that crazy.

Again I am alone at ARK, all Croatian went home to sleep, the war in BiH keep us awake, lot's of them have family in Sarajevo or surrounding. Today somebody from Italy came by he wanted to go to Mostar, we have explained him that the town probably is gone.

Once an a while I start to notice that I can work as a machine, not realizing what I have been translating (friends explain me word for word what is written in Croatian and I try to put it in words, I am not English speaking so there for still make a lot of mistakes, hope you don't mind).

The stories I translated today from the environmental destruction scared the hell out of me, Napalm, bombing cascades without any reason, if that violence is putted against nature, what can they do towards human being. Total ridiculous and I hope it is not true. Furthermore I ported the story to WWF in the hope they are going to survey that regions. I stupid Dutch guy with a modem and a computer cannot do much, even with your help on the net it will work.

Thank Milieukontakt for the fax/modems, which Alex Jurus from Bonn will bring next week. It would be nice if somebody could also send some money to Bonn, since I am a little afraid that at the end of the month I cannot pay the telephone bill.

Support from GN I can't thank you enough for your help, and also the message from PeaceNet and EcoNet that they have putted it in their login banner gives me hope that we as e-mail community are not totally hopeless and useless in this madness. I hope that I can relay furthermore on your help and the help from others.

Also thanks to the people who have send good ideas from were to get material, but please we have only 1 outgoing telephone line (outside Croatia) and a lot to do here, we just write it down, but the best help is when you get active yourself and organise something.

By the way, if somebody can help me with some money, please put it on my giro account in the Netherlands (624350 at. Wam Kat, Sitard, Netherlands, bank: post giro Den Haag). Alternatively, send it to the ARK bank number in Germany.

Aida went this morning to Praha to meet with other woman from the East to establish a kind of Eastern International women group; I must say the place is a little empty without her. The others work like hell to get ARKzin this month ready. We will translate the most important articles in English (good or bad, you will get the point) and put it on GreenNet.

They only think what I had in mind when I came here was giving this war a face, a voice of somebody, which was familiar for you and I think I slowly starts to reach out around the nets. In a couple off days, I hope that I can disappear again, but in the main time, I will try my utmost best to get the messages on the net.

These stories are further not so important; I need to write something for myself to get the stress out, like a singer write a song. You are just my victims.

'All we are saying is give peace a change' he is back again. I have to start working since the faxes from Sarajevo start to get in. Stories about general Kukanjca and Cyrusa Vance.

If you out there can find a translator and distributor for the book about the Environmental Destruction in Croatia you make the week for the people in Green Action.

Maybe somebody can send some good walkman batteries to the Bonner European Institute for Environmental Question, so Alex can bring them with them, these Croatian batteries only work for two hours and I forgot to bring a charger with me.

Love and Peace from Zagreb

Wam:-)

Sleep well and hopefully...

'It is up to you, yeah you!!!!!!’

No comments:

Original Footer (all information (email, bank, telefonnr)) are old !!!)

"Zagreb Diary" can be found on a lot of different electronic networks, it is copyright free and can be ported to any network or other means of communication you like, but please drop my a line, you can reach by sending a message to wam@zamir-zg.comlink.de . Zagreb Diary is dedicated to Tyche, Pjort and Rik, so that they found out what there father have been doing all that time in Zagreb. Financial support for Grassroot relief work in Croatia or BiH can be send to Kollektief Rampenplan (atn. Lylette, Postbox 780, 6130 AN Sittard, Netherlands, tel:. +31-46-524803 and fax: +31-46-516460 or to Zagrebacka Banka, Zagreb, accountnr.: xxxxxxxxx, to Kat, Pieter Jan Herman Fredrik, Brace Domany 6 6fl nr3 (postbox 33), 41000 Zagreb. Please notify me if you send or have send any donations. Old numbers can be found by sending a message's with as subject "FILES" to pakrac.info@ZAMIR-ZG.comlink.de, to order a file send a message with subject "SEND " to same address.